Monday 12 September 2016

This is it...

Well this is it. I've decided to start a blog.

This is a place for me to write about something I love, and have loved, for most of my life: 

Films.

It's worth being clear here too, my plan isn't to write up the minute film reviews about the latest blockbuster or indie gem, it's to have a place where I can write about all the things I love (and hate) about movies. It'll be varied, some of it may be opinionated, but all of it will mean something to me. You could probably make some inference about psychology and where films fit into both my view of myself and the world, but mostly it'll be me writing about things that interest me. Hopefully they'll interest you too.

There's a few things that I should come clean about first (just so you know what you're letting yourself in for):

  • I have loads of favourite movies (there are many, and they change in order depending on my whims). 
  • I love all sorts of genres, I'm as happy talking about action movies as I am about art-house.
  • I studied film theory and history years ago so am writing this under the belief that I know what I'm talking about (have no fear, after a couple of posts you'll realise I'm winging it).

Here's what you can expect from this blog:

  • The plan is to post new content every Monday.
  • Sometimes I may get carried away and write more than one post a week.
  • I'm not planning on writing massive essays, so you should be able to read them in the time it takes to drink a coffee.
  • I'd love to know what you think, but I'd like you to keep your comments friendly. 
  • If you're lucky I may draw a cartoon to go with a blog post (it certainly beats being sued for using someone else's imagery).

So why the blog title?

There are friends of mine who don't watch films with subtitles, and it's a phrase I hear quite a lot. For me, language isn't a barrier to watching films. In fact, quite the opposite. Film has a visual language all of its own, and a well made film can take you on a journey no matter the country of origin. I'd like to share some of my thoughts on this, and other issues, with whoever is interested.

Anyway, that's it for my first post. I'll be back next week (Monday, as promised) to dazzle you with some stunning writing.

Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment